“Let yourself move to the next chapter in life when the time comes. Don’t remain stuck on the same page.”
After a LOT of consideration, I have made the decision to walk away from coaching at Orangetheory Fitness. After even more consideration, I decided to address it in the best way that I knew how.. here, on this platform, in my safe place, and to those who have supported me every step of the way. As I look back on my time and as I embark on this new season of my life, below are five life lessons that I’ve learned along the way–
1. Say “YES”! Say yes to adventure, to risks, to new jobs and new beginnings. Say yes to things that excite and maybe even scare you. To the things that you’ve always wanted to do but keep putting off because of this, that and the other. Just say YES because you never know what is waiting on the other side of that one simple word. I never would have imagined that I would be sitting where I am today, surrounded by the people that I am, creating the life I’ve always dreamed of because I said “yes”, of all things to a “Sales Associate” gig at Orangetheory Fitness (OTF) Grand Rapids.
2. Embrace Uncertainty. I would be lying if I said that walking away, especially from a job that I love, wasn’t scary. I am terrified. So, why do it? Because I believe that there is growth in change. I know that walking away from contentment means walking closer to further fulfillment. As uncertain as I am in what the future may hold, I am certain that I am only just getting started, that OTF planted a seed that will continue to grow so long as I nourish it to the best of my ability.
3. It’s okay to do what’s best for you! I didn’t write this post to “defend” my decision of leaving. My decision is not and never will be about anyone other than myself. For those folks that have gotten the chance to know me over the years understand, and/or hopefully can see that I put nothing less than 100% into my work. Coaching at OTF is honestly the best gig in the business but it also takes a lot out of you. Pouring your heart into your craft and into the lives of others is exhausting– especially when you’re just learning to do the same for yourself. I don’t believe in “quitting” or walking away when the going gets tough, but I do believe in listening to yourself enough to know when something is no longer for you, when something, someone or a situation is no longer nurturing you. So I encourage you, ask yourself and really listen… Is where you are or what you’re doing supporting your dreams? Is it molding you into a better, healthier, happier version of yourself? Is it providing you with the fulfillment you deserve? If not, I encourage you to not let fear step between you and what’s best for you.
4. You are strong, much stronger than you think! Over the past three years there is no doubt that my body has physically grown stronger, whose wouldn’t? (Shameless OTF plug). But more importantly, I have become stronger in who I am and what I stand for. I am stronger for the obstacles that I have faced and the scrutiny that I have received. I am stronger for choosing positivity through adversity and for choosing light when things were dark. I am stronger because I am choosing to pursue happiness whilst stepping away from contentment. I hope that you too, know that you are strong. Strong enough to stand up for who you are and how you should be treated. Strong enough to step away and even stronger to do so with your head held high.
5. “Keep Burning” (another shameless OTF plug). Not necessarily at OTF… but more figuratively. I encourage you to never let the flame within you wither away. I encourage you to chase after the things that set your soul on fire. You can do anything, or you could do everything if you set your mind to it! “You might as well reach for the stars because if you miss at least you’ll be amongst the stars.” (Thanks, Jon) In leaving, I hope to take some time over the next couple of months and work on those particular dreams. I hope to spend time reflecting on who I am and where I want to go. But know that wherever that path may lead– I will NEVER stop “burning” for you. My heart will always be with the people I’ve met and the memories that I’ve made with you. Because of you, I am who I am and I could never thank you enough for that.