Let me preface this by saying, these past couple of months have been a whirlwind of emotions and topping the charts… confusion! Where do I want to go? What do I want to do? How do I want my work, my life, my relationships to make me feel? The list goes on and on. And after devoting time to discover the answers to this ever-growing list of questions, I still don’t know. ha! BUT! There are a few things that I am completely sure of that I hope for you too, can ease the weight that uncertainty has been holding over you.
1. You are the shot caller of your own life. You hold the power to determine the direction you sail your ship. Amidst rocky shores, will you abandon it or will you persevere? When the waves start crashing in will you run for cover or will you decide to ride out the storm? The ball will always be in your court– so get in the game and decide how it’s going to be played!
2. “I don’t know” is a qualified answer. Who says that you have to know where you’ll be in 5 years (as long as you have a somewhat scripted answer for that interviewer)? Who says that if you don’t, you won’t be successful or more importantly, happy? News flash: It’s okay to not know, to not have all of the answers or a step-by-step roadmap to your intended destination. It is okay to ride the waves and to enjoy the journey! Know that there is no appropriate age to graduate, to settle down, to “grow up” or commit yourself to something that isn’t right for you.
3. You are exactly where you are supposed to be. Don’t forget that there is a reason for every season. There is a purpose for every battle you’ve faced, for every obstacle you’ve conquered and for every tear you’ve cried along the way. Know that a plan much bigger and so much brighter than you’ve ever imagined is being crafted together every step of the way.
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
4. Your journey is not my journey (and that is okay). Maybe you do have all the answers, maybe you have laid out the pieces of your puzzle and have a plan for every move you plan to make. But maybe you’re like me, and you don’t. And maybe in this moment you see someone else’s perfectly paved road while yours is crumbling beneath your feet. Maybe you’re feeling inadequate in your career or behind in your relationship status. I encourage you to stop doubting your story and start embracing what it’s teaching you. Know although rocky at times, your path is being paved with perseverance, with strength and with an understanding that no matter what, you are undoubtedly enough.
5. Remember to enjoy the ride. Even if in this moment you are anxiety ridden with all of the questions swirling around in your head, I encourage you to never lose sight of how far you’ve come. Don’t become so focused on getting where you think you’re going that when you look back you’ve forgotten the beauty found on the path that led you there. Embrace each moment, each breath and every curveball that is thrown your way because you are on the right track! Whether you’re running, walking, or somedays you feel like you’re crawling, KEEP GOING! And don’t for another second, let any amount of confusion or uncertainty cause you to doubt the beautiful and purpose-filled life that you were created to live.
Carry on, Warrior.