5 Ways to Be Kinder to Yourself
We’ve always been taught to be kind to others, but why has no one ever taught us how important it is to be kind to ourselves? Where was the lesson on “Self-Love” when we were growing up? I don’t know about you, but I could still use some help on that one!
Nonetheless, I hope that wherever you’re at and whatever season you’re in, you start making kindness a priority. Know that you too deserve the love you so freely give to others. Here are 5 ways that I’m working at to make kindness for myself as effortless as it is for the ones I care about.
1. Applaud yourself for your achievements. Let’s start here, on a high note. Let’s take a moment to quickly reflect on all of the things that you’ve done in your life.. no, wait. Let’s start smaller. How about this month, this week, what about today. Today you CHOSE (because it is a choice) to get out of bed, you probably made yourself some coffee and (hopefully) chose to brush your teeth. Look at that! You’re on a roll! It’s easy, patting ourselves on the back for the big things we’ve accomplished in life ie., graduating, receiving that promotion, having a baby.. so on and so fourth. But I encourage you to not forget about the smaller things that deserve recognition too. That bill you paid on time, making it to the gym despite your hectic schedule, cooking yourself something that consisted of more than cereal in a bowl (not that there’s anything wrong with that, haha). You did it, did you not? Choose to be your own cheerleader and whether you feel like you’re winning or loosing, never put down those pom-poms!
2. Give yourself some grace! Acknowledge that you cannot do it all, at least not without losing all of your marbles. And that’s just fine. It’s okay to not be okay sometimes. It’s okay to not check every single item off of that ever-growing “to-do” list or to snooze that alarm when you maybe should have gotten up to to go the gym. You are doing the best you can! Or maybe in this season of life, you’re saving your best self, and that too, is OKAY! Give yourself some grace to be okay with where you’re at, what you’re doing and with how you’re feeling.
3. Show up for yourself. This one is for the people pleasers of the world. (a.k.a. the “push-overs”) I don’t have to remind you to be kind to others, you’re already doing that…probably too much. How about trying to be a little more conscious of the kindness you are showing yourself. Are you showing up for yourself as much as you are for your kids, your significant other, your friends? Why not!? Are you not as important? Why are we so quick to put ourselves at the bottom of the totem pole? You can’t pour from an empty glass, so stop trying to! Fill yourself up first and let that love and light overflow on to the ones around you.
4. Forgive yourself. That silly mistake you made three months ago? The shame you’ve been holding on to for countless years? Forgive yourself and let it go. You can’t reach for the future with your hands full of junk from your past. Let your mistakes be lessons, turn your heartache into hope and go fourth knowing that you are stronger, wiser and more capable of sailing your ship in a new direction.
5. Be unapologetically YOU! Do yourself a favor and drop the act right now. You aren’t doing yourself any favors by trying to be someone or something that you’re not. You, in all your imperfect ways are perfect just the way you are. You don’t have to show up in any way that doesn’t feel 100% authentic nor should you surround yourself with anyone that makes you feel like you have to. Your life and your story has been crafted together flawlessly and I encourage you to embrace it for everything it is and for every piece you’re designed to be.
“You are you that is truer than true. There is no one alive like is you-er than you.” Dr. Seuss
Carry on Warriors.